How to Create a Table in BigQuery
Here's an example of creating a users table in BigQuery:
create table `project-id.dataset.funky_users` ( first_name STRING, last_name STRING, has_tried_popsql BOOL, number_of_friends INT64 not null -- chance to specify not null constraints );
Table names must:
- contain only letters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9), or underscores (_),
- start with a letter or underscore,
- be shorter than 1024 characters,
- and not use table decorators (e.g. snapshot or range decorators like
🧐 Points of clarification:
- BigQuery uses underscores for table names (e.g.
funky-users). - Project IDs in BigQuery, however, accept hyphens (-) but not underscores (_). 🤷
- Note the backticks around the project, database, and table names. - Be sure to use a period instead of a colon between the project, database, and table names too.
Need a refresher on BigQuery data types? We've got just the thing.
Spread the wordTweet